Saturday, July 23, 2011

Always make the most of EVERYTHING!


Surprisingly to me - over this past year, a LOT of enthusiastic & passionate artists have reached out for input & ideas on starting their own paths into the Photography industry!

So, I'd like to take a minute & share some thoughts that are in the forefront of my mind today as I'm tidying up the house (ooh - an excuse to hide in the office!?) & getting ready for a gorgeous Lake County Wedding...!

As you embark on your Journey, be very aware of how much of your Life will be encompassed by all things 'Business'!

Shooting may take an hour - it may take 10....but, there's SO much more to it than that! Answering calls, Quote requests, following up with Quotes, maintaining your website, sharing new favorite images, blogging, editing, learning...its a lot!

When we first began, we had no idea. You jump in & want to be the best from the very beginning & that takes ALL of your time. Well, at that point - I had the time.

We weren't booked out yet & we weren't Parents yet. Now - that has all changed...for the BEST!

Just yesterday, I had a dear friend tell me she's amazed at how well we've found our 'balance' between Family & Business - realizing, when I claim "One kid is perfect for us!" that really - - this Business is my 2nd baby.

It seriously takes up THAT much of my time, energy & dedication. Add in the fact that I insist Clients receive their finished product ASAP - sometimes, it can be all-encompassing! "-)

But, let me get back to what prompted me to share with you today...

While making a living may be your need for starting your own Business - - or perhaps just a little extra spending money - - know that your Clients will come first on their day. They have to!

Today is the Larsen Family BBQ in the city - honoring Niels' father who was recently diagnosed with Cancer. While our hearts & thoughts are with our Family - our minds & body's belong to someone else today. That's our commitment.

In the next couple of weeks, we're also missing a Family Wedding Reception, 1st Birthday party with friends...and a Baby Shower...

So - just be prepared for that. Know that your life will change in many ways.

And always find your 'balance'.

Larsen's Photography decided to scale back by about half in 2011 in order to focus on our little Family - to still have time to take Adventures & attend functions. But, well, as you can see - sometimes those little gigs (Parties, BBQs, Camping trips) don't plan a full year out like a Wedding does! "-)

So - we always take our time together & make the most of it in every way...because, in my opinion, our experiences & memories in Life are all we really have! xo

1 comments:

Mrs. McFadden said...

So very true Maile! Thanks for being so honest and committed! I admire you.

Post a Comment

 
© Larsen's Photography